August 24, 2012

Uh-oh

How do you summarize unacceptable diction? How do you cocoon incomprehensive reaction towards blatant tweets or statuses, which are meant to mirror intellectuality with the exhaustion of “synonym” and “thesaurus” without weighing the repercussion of embedding erroneous context and thinking that lengthening a sentence close to a paragraph would signify content, yet the period is dotted in vain?

Tu me comprends? ‘tis okay. That was merely cynicism.

Ladies and gentlemen, according to dictionary.com the obtuse need to be stamped “cacology”, and you thought it’d be of a blasé expression. Well life is just. So you’re proofreading but why does your tweet contain simple grammar error? That does not do. I mean, I did not score full marks for my English placement test – the appointed actuary did – but I’m reminded that verbal eyesore is unforgivable.

On a side note, they disowned me the instance I write too much and count too few – the truth is I’m fairly dumb and slow with technicalities. Probability is not my forte. Apparently one of my elder cousins thought actuarial is about “kira orang mati”, so rest assured I’m happily working on marketing collaterals. Work is good, Alhamdulillah.

Now back to cacology, improvements are encouraged, yes. However, stupidity is not. Some measures such as flair of writing and word contextualization are not gained overnight. True enough that decent English gets you by, but dearly beloved please consider your audience. I came across a beautiful piece written by theSun’s news editor, Himanshu Bhatt, “The fatal influence of illogical”. One particular excerpt I wish to share;

“For all our intellectual and material sophistication in the modern context, arcane and naïve attitudes can come into play to dictate our lives in very strange – but potent – ways.”

They have destroyed me yet they have been the greatest companion. A little off rant but words synchronize the person we are.

Ah yes, Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri! Lemang is my favorite raya delicacy, what's yours?