October 26, 2011

week nine

Unlike most Tuesdays, today the warm weather penetrated the classroom wall oddly with an unwelcoming smell. My sniffing ability is I suppose outrageously sensitive. Just as she walks into the room, I was glad that the instructor agrees with my mute murmur. So the whole class marched on to the slope next to the river.

Ah, such scenic and calm environment to discuss Jim Harrison’s In Search of Small Gods. The falling leaves and the cold breeze however stole my attention; kidnapping it to believe that I was with Vladimir Nabokov’s Lolita instead of Harrison. It’s been sitting patiently on my end table and nodding in consideration for I’ve no time to read for pleasure. I do however enjoy reading Harrison at least in comparison with the previous poets, which I find either too morbid or too much talk about birds/ nature it was nauseating.

What has become ritual? The book reading, the assigned writing, and the hay wired sleeping pattern. On average for the past few weeks, I dozed off three to four hours with Munky finding it’s own sleep button while I played on TV shows as lullabies. Insomnia is hardly a disease but a habit. Then I saw the pocket-sized journal I’ve carried tirelessly everyday in my bag today and I realized how days have gone by that I did not bother to ink down/ to doodle in words.

“Sometimes the fog lies thicker around you than your past,” Adrienne Rich.

And I remember how disturbed I was (or am) after graduating Rich’s Your Native Land, Your Life. Also in finding the too generosity of temperament at indecent times with faulty personalities, I become more or less amused or amazed (?) with the juxtapose of mind and action. I find solemn in quietly detoxing naysayers and gradually up-leveling the ability to skim through what appears to be claptrap. I’m sure it’s potentially useful maybe 20% of the times but to embed as a trait is… something to think about.

I know I miss having mom to "whatsapp" 24/7 now that she has dad everyday and they travel across Indonesia frequently like the bus I hop onto every other morning at 8:51 a.m. Since Aida graduated and that I shifted you in a different perspective, the vacancy can at times be emotionally numbing.

Who could intercede in His presence without His permission? (2:255)